Not only is our office dedicated to your smile, we're also committed to your overall health. Our practice takes a holistic approach to your dental needs, which includes an oral cancer screening as a part of your regular exam. Like most kinds of cancer, oral cancer can be life-threatening if it is not diagnosed and treated early.
Early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified on your routine dental exam. While these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to visit our office and let Dr. Miskin rule out the possibility of oral cancer.
The most common signs and symptoms of oral cancer include:
- White or red sores or spots anywhere in or around the mouth
- A sore that does not heal easily or constantly bleeds
- A lump, swelling, or a rough spot that does not go away
- Pain, soreness, or numbness anywhere in or around the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
Our team is trained to do a complete screening and examination of your whole oral cavity, which also includes your throat, to detect precancerous and cancerous conditions. If we find an area of concern, we may refer you to a specialist that deals oral pathology
There are other things that you can do to help prevent oral cancer, besides having an oral cancer screening during your regular checkup at our office,
- Avoid all tobacco products and drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy life style by exercising and eating healthy foods
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always use sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
- Early detection of oral cancer can improve the chance of successful treatment.